Monday, March 26, 2018

Study Week

Hello Readers,

Alex, Julianna, and Myself at the Outdoor Rink
Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
Study week has come and gone for us students in Finland. In October and March the schools have a one week break of studies. In the past, I have chosen to visit my Finnish friends home in the middle of Finland. I chose that again this year, as I hadn't seen them in about a year due to my exchange. Her family lives in a small town called Kärsämäki, with approximately 2,000 inhabitants. This small town makes me feel more at home since my village in Ontario only has 800 inhabitants. 
My friends dogs Jimi and Pössi.  Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
The week is meant for students to get caught up on studies but since returning from Germany my studies haven't started yet. For most students the semester starts in January, but due to the exchange period I was on, I missed a few courses that I will make up next year. It just means that the 1/2 year I thought I could skip last year, by taking 2nd year courses has caught up to me. I have 2 courses that I can take this semester to at least get some credits. I used this week to relax before starting studies and to start applying to some summer jobs. 

I got to enjoy some recreational activities as well. My friend, her sister and I walked one of their dogs around their property (which is quite large, they live just outside of town on a farm). It was a great way to get some Vitamin D and some fresh air, though bundling up was still necessary as it was -5degrees.We also went into the town and enjoyed an afternoon of skating. Here in Finland there are outdoor rinks in just about every town or city. They allow you to skate and get some exercise for free. This was the highlight of my trip, because since moving here I haven't had the opportunity to go skating.
Skating around. So glad I didn't fall. Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
After we went skating, we went to my friends Grandparent's house. I had been before so it was nice to get to visit them again. They do not speak any English but we get by with my friend Alex who is our own personal translator. Her grandparents have complimented me before on the fact that I speak directly to them even though they don't understand me. They just find it more personal that I don't speak to the translator when I am actually addressing them. 

One of the days, we went to a shopping mall in a nearby city. It was about an hour drive, I was happy to go there, as the one store had really good deals. For those North American's that follow my blog it was similar to that of a Walmart (minus groceries)...it had everything at reasonable prices.

I enjoyed my relaxing week in the middle of Finland, immersed in  a Finnish home, so the culture and language was around me the entire time. The family asked me everyday if I wanted to go to Sauna (Big part of Finnish culture) but I decided not, as I don't like the heat of it and find it increases my blood pressure too much. I had a great time, I can not wait to visit again.

Bye for now...

2 comments: