Monday, September 17, 2018

Back to School...

This photo is from First Year (2016). It is the Kemijoki River. It showcases fall quite well with the coloured trees.
Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
Hello Readers,

I am currently back in Rovaniemi Finland, about to embark in my HOPEFULLY last year of studies. I am trying to take my 4th year classes as well as some 3rd year classes to finish my time here. I am trying to expedite the process because this past summer my sister got ENGAGED. I am so happy for her and I need to get things going here so that I am 100% available for her planning needs.

I have been back to Rovaniemi for a couple of weeks, I had jet-lag very bad this time. I had a hard time adjusting to the time difference, it took me about a week to get sleeping at the right time of day. I was excited to start some new classes and to gain more experience in destination planning. I think it was because of the KLM flight. I had never flown with KLM before this time, I few from Toronto to Amsterdam, and then Amsterdam to Helsinki, finally Helsinki to Rovaniemi. The past 2 years, I flew with my parents and I didn't come directly to my destination, I did sightseeing instead and I think this helped the jet-lag because I kept busy and could sleep more on the flights (I wasn't worried about flying with my parents, but when traveling alone it can be stressful).
This is me at the Con. It was held in the same
building as the Moomin Museum in
Tampere. Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby

The first weekend here, I made plans to go to my friend Alex's house to see her family for one day, then travel to the south of Finland to Tampere for an Anime Con - Tracon. I am not particularly interested in Manga, Anime, Cosplay, or anything of the sort, I just wanted to go for the socialization and to say that I have been before. The day was exhausting, there were tons of people and we did a lot of walking, not to mention we took the bus so early in the morning that it wasn't even open yet, and then we booked a late train in case we wanted more time at the Con. This trip also got me out of the apartment before school started and allowed me to overcome my jet-lag. I also love visiting with Alex's parents. They do not speak the best English (though I am sure they understand way more then they let on) but she is like our personal translation speaker. I have learned a lot about Finland and customs from them, as they have asked me a ton of questions about Canada, to the point where they are excited to one day embark on a vacation to our vast country.

If i can not take the 4th year courses, it will be a little frustrating but out of my control because there are only a limited number of spots for students in the course, and the DPT 15 (year before me) have priority over the course. If this happens and I can not take the course, it means I will have to come back next fall to take these 2 courses, therefore making my sisters job more stressful in planning her wedding and potentially she will have to choose another date then what she originally wants.

Over the summer I said there would be more posts but it got very hectic at my summer job and the summer flew by too quickly. I have a few posts written as drafts however, the photos I need are in Canada. Maybe I can get them over Christmas and get these posts done in Spring.

Stay tuned for more Arctic Adventures....
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment