Friday, November 3, 2017

Reunited...after almost 12 years

Hey readers,

This past weekend was so fun for me. I reached out to a contact that I met about 12 years ago. When I was in high school, I participated in a reciprocal exchange program with the ISE company. My exchange student was from Mönchengladbach, Germany, she would come to my house first for three months, and then I to her house for three months. I recently started my study abroad semester in Germany and found out that she now lives only 127km from me. We made plans to meet up and had an amazing reunion in Munich, talking and walking and sharing our life changes for the last 12years.
This photo is in Mönchengladbach in 2006. Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
When I was 15, I decided I wanted to go on an exchange because my sister had done it before me, only to Spain. From a Canadian perspective it is more comforting in that your exchange student arrives to you first, so at least when you arrive at their home you already know one person. It was a great learning experience for both of us, and we learned quickly about different cultures and different upbringings. While I was there, I learned that I was too young to be traveling from home. I think 15 and leaving your family for 3 months is a big adjustment, I also found that I was distanced from a few friends, and it took a little while for me to adjust back.
Me and Sofie (My old exchange partner) in Marienplatz in Munich, 2017. Photo Credit: Sofie Schmid
She met me at the train station, and then went on a walk around the city, showing me all of the sights. She showed me the main areas of the downtown sectors (some of which I had seen when I was touring with my parents). We spent a lot of time catching up the changes in our families and what has changed in our lives, there was a lot to cover when it came to studying and marriages and such. We walked a total of 14km around the city. She even took me to the rooftop terrace at the University. We enjoyed a hot chocolate, and an espresso. The view of the city was awesome, it is a flat city so you could see for miles, you could even see the Alps in the far distance. After that we went for lunch at Pommes Boutique, the menu has many types of french fries with different combinations of meat and vegetables added, as well as a large selection of sauces you can have on them.
Surfers at the English Garden, in Munich. Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby
To finish our trip we ended up hanging out at her apartment, and talked. We relaxed and I found out that I had blisters on both feet for wearing the wrong shoes, I did not have on walking shoes...but oh well they will heal. I ended up taking the Subway back to the Train Station and headed back to Kempten that evening. The train this time was the ALEX brand, and It reminded me of the Hogwarts Express. There were individual sections to the car where 6 people could sit together. 

 Its never too late to reconnect with old friends, you can always catch up.

Talk soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment