Thursday, October 26, 2017

Weekend Hike in the Mountains

Readers...

I made it there and back without a heart attack. As some of you know, I am not much of a hiker...so this weekend was a big challenge for me. I achieved some personal accomplishments today. I climbed most of a mountain up to a cottage for the weekend, even though I wanted to turn back probably 10 times.

There was no cell reception but the views were spectacular. It was the Schwarzberghuette Cottage (sorry the link is in German), you should look into it if you are ever in the Allgäu Region of Germany. The mountains had barely any snow on them on Saturday morning when we began our climb. It took about 1 hour 30minutes to get to the cottage after the bus ride from the nearest village. It was hostel style rooms but they all had a view from the small window. The food there was good as well.
This is the outside of the Cottage. Photo Credit: Danielle Gadsby

After we got settled in and left our backpacks in our rooms (do not even try to take a luggage bag, you are walking up steep inclines and pulling luggage is that last thing you want to be doing) our coordinators offered another hike. I was done at this point so, I stayed back and did a small walk to the meadow where they usually have the cows on the mountain. I enjoyed my views and sitting and talking with the one coordinator, it was like my own personal tour. While I was doing that, the rest of the group was walking further up the mountain and across to a lake. The lake was ice cold, as it is mostly mountain run off from melting snow and ice. Some students came back after the lake but others went on to the peak. They did an additional 2 and a half hour climb that I did not. I still have added some photos others shared with me.
The lake the others hiked to. Beautiful view I missed out on. Photo Credit: International Office, Hochschule Kempten

In the evening we just hung out in the cottage playing games and socializing with the other students (there were about 34 of us in total), some we had met during Orientation here but others were just international students we had not met yet. 
The Sunday Morning, Fog and Snow on the Mountain. Photo Credit: Eugene Kim

I was very happy that I even decided to do this trip at all, and totally worth it for that view and experience with the other exchange students here. When we woke up on Sunday morning at the cottage, there was more snow on the mountain. Being at a higher altitude it had snowed overnight, it was just a light dusting, but still a wonderful sight to see in the morning.

Thanks for reading!!!
Talk soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment